In England during 2018/19 there were 3,742 fires with 57 fatalities caused by smokers materials. Source
If someone in your house smokes, your home is at greater risk of fire so it’s very important that everyone in your family does their bit to keep your home safe.
If you/someone smokes at/in your home they should:
- Never leave a lit cigarette lying around.
- Always use a suitable ashtray and make sure it can’t be knocked over.
- Never smoke in bed.
- Do not empty into a bin at night.
Here are some things you can do:
- Every home needs a working smoke alarm on each floor of the building.
- Remind a parent or carer to check the alarms in your home regularly.
- Get your family together to make a fire action plan for your home. Every member of the family should know what to do and where to find keys if there’s a fire.
- Never play with matches or cigarette lighters; and keep out of sight and reach of children.