- For every year you smoke beyond the age of 35, you shorten your life expectancy by 3 months.
- 70% of smokers say they want to quit smoking for good.
- The Hull Stop Smoking Service offers free local support including free nicotine replacement therapy, such as patches and gum.
- You’re up to four times more likely to quit with professional help than you are on your own.
- Young people who smoke are up to 6 times more at risk of shortness of breath than those who do not smoke. Quitting smoking is difficult because nicotine addiction is a powerful force to overcome. But it’s not impossible and there is help out there for you.
Nicotine replacement therapy can help support smokers during the stopping smoking process, helping them to wean themselves off nicotine. They work by delivering a steady dose of nicotine without cigarettes, so helping to reduce the cravings. This helps the smoker to adjust to life without cigarettes and helps them to maintain their motivation to quit once the treatment course is run.
The medications available include nicotine replacement therapies (NRT) for example, patches, gum and mini-lozenge. NRT can be obtained free of charge on a voucher through The Hull Stop Smoking Service, there’s no need to make an appointment with your GP. Terms and condition apply.
Psychological support is also vital to strengthen the person’s determination not to start smoking again. Smokers are around four times more likely to quit for good if they have support.
Preparation, preparation, preparation
Stopping smoking is a life-changing decision and needs thought, planning and mental preparation in just the same way as any other major life event.
ReFresh (Under 19’s)
Refresh is a young people’s drug and alcohol service providing FREE and confidential support to young people aged up to 19 years who live, study or work in Hull
Refresh knows that if you are having problems with drugs or alcohol, you may well be having difficulties in other areas of your life. We have helped lots of young people improve family relationships, secure somewhere stable to live, get support with school, college or work and make positive use of their time.
Refresh can also work with the whole family, providing support for parents and carers of young people using drugs or alcohol. Refresh can also support children and young people affected by a parent or carers drug or alcohol use in circumstances where the child/ young person is not living at home or their parent/ carer is not working with adult drug and alcohol services.
Contact us via the below:
Phone – 01482 331 059
Email – firstname.lastname@example.org
The Hull Stop Smoking Service (Adults 16+)
The Hull Stop Smoking Service knows that everyone is different and offers a range of FREE local services. They deliver a six week support programme to those wanting to stop smoking, this includes:
- One to one appointments
- Discussions around trigger points, coping strategies, peer pressure, consequences of smoking and healthier lifestyle choices
- Carbon monoxide reading
- Weekly support
- Nicotine replacement therapy (NRT) can be used from the age of 12
Contact via the below: